We have found it a struggle to get BBC to focus on learning site words. As I think most folks do, we began by using flash cards. He did well in the beginning but his interest waned quickly. It got to be a struggle to even pull the cards out.
One day I had a simple idea to write a site word on a platter with a dry erase marker. He was immediately interested. He wanted to write on the platter, too. So we turned it into a game. The more we played the more excited we both were with the concept.
Here are just a few of the reasons why…
1. Learning site words is now a fun game and not a frustrating chore
2. We practice setting goals (Get 10 site words to get reward)
3. We practice math (If you have 2 checks how many more checks do you need until reward?)
4. It shows progress (You didn’t know that one word, but look – you have recognized seven already. You are almost there – keep going!)
5. We are spending quality time together
One day BBC grabbed the platter and his site words and became the teacher. I played along because not only was he reinforcing his site word recognition and math skills, he was now practicing writing those site words as well. Talk about a proud momma!
Oh and the reward? Another simple idea. BBC wanted to draw on the platter.
What are some simple changes that have made all the difference in the world for you?
~Southern Fried Gal
I am linking up with the following…
Cheri’s It’s So Very Creative Party
We Are THAT Family: Works For Me Wednesday Be sure to click on the HOME button on this site and read about Kristen’s recent trip to Kenya.